MatureTissue is an interdisciplinary FWF doctoral programme (doc.funds.connect) at TU Wien and FH Technikum Wien that is set up to educate and train a new generation of 5 highly achieving early stage researchers (ESRs) to study and develop novel technologies and engineering solutions to drive the maturation of artificial tissues using bioreactor and microfluidic technologies.
MatureTissue is underpinned by a consortium of researchers from the Technikum Wien and the TU Wien bringing together both applied and basic science focus. Our program integrates a broad spectrum of scientific and technical expertise covering bioreactors, microfluidic systems, biomechanics, molecular biology and analytical chemistry. We, the MatureTissue faculty, want to recruit 5 outstanding PhD students and work together to address important challenges of musculoskeletal conditions by maturing 3D cell constructs to functional artificial tissues of bone, tendon, cartilage and muscle by controlled mechanical stimulation.
MatureTissue offers a PhD position in the following research project:
- Micromechanical changes in tissue formed by mechanically manipulated tenocytes under inflammatory conditions
Additional details on the this project can be found at Research Projects
The PhD candidate will be supervised by two Principal Investigators, one at FH Technikum Wien and one at TU Wien and work on this individual topic, but with close interaction with all other MatureTissue PhD students, Principal Investigators and their groups.
We hire an exceptional candidate for 4 years for 30 hours/week. Earliest expected start: 1st of May 2022
- Deepen scientific knowledge and independent research work on the specific project
- Presentation of research results at international conferences and other scientific events
- Successful completion of important milestones
- Participation in scientific events and other outreach activities organized by MatureTissue
- Writing a dissertation and publications
- Participation in organizational and administrative tasks of the doctoral school
- Completion of a master’s or diploma course in any relevant area for the doctoral college – from biology to engineering
- Experience in relevant research fields of the selected project(s) are of advantage
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- Active participation in scientific collaboration
- Team competences and problem-solving skills
- Positive attitude and contribution to the work environment
- Striving for continuous personal development
- Diverse and exciting research projects on cutting edge topics (details visit www.dc-mature-tissue.at/research-projects)
- Continuing personal and professional education and flexible working hours
- High-quality supervision by renowned scientists (http://www.dc-mature-tissue.at/faculty)
- Ample possibilities for building an international research network, completing secondments, and establishing research collaborations
- Courses on transferable skills
- Very competitive salary
- Social benefits (e.g. health insurance, etc.)
- Administrative support in study and life questions
- Central location with excellent accessibility in a city regularly ranked first worldwide for life quality
- Diverse and exciting tasks
People with special needs are equally encouraged to apply. In case of any questions, please contact the confidant for disabled persons at the university, Mr. Gerhard Neustätter.
Applicants should upload the following documents:
Details on the application and selection process visit www.dc-mature-tissue.at/application
- Please use the standardized application (www.dc-mature-tissue.at/application) form to provide your details:
- Do not forget to provide all requested certificates and grade transcripts of BSc, MSc and/or diploma degrees (officially legalized copies with official translation);
- Helpful but not mandatory documents can also be uploaded (e.g. language proficiency, awards)
- Contact details for two references; Please inform your reference contacts that you have applied for this/these position(s) and that they should send their “letters of recommendation” by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the call deadline
Remuneration is based on the minimum wage and is at least EUR 2.237,60 gross / month for 30 hours of employment per week according to funding guidelines (FWF). (14 times a year)
We are looking forward to receiving your application by April, 21st, 2022 (23:59 CET).
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for travel and subsistence expenses that arose from the admission process.